Little Heiskell Ski Club was established as a nonprofit corporation
in March of 1967. Over the years, the club has seen dynamic changes
in the ski industry. Some of our charter members are still active
in the club and started skiing on wooded skis with leather boots!
There have a lot of changes since 1967, but the Club's purpose has
basically remained the same. The purpose of the LHSC is the encouragement,
advancement, and improvement of the sport of skiing and snowboarding
for pleasure, recreation, and other non-profitable purposes. The
LHSC promotes competition, good fellowship, and the preservation
of the sport with the highest ideals of sportsmanship.
The LHSC is a member of the Blue
Ridge Ski Council, an association of ski clubs from Washington
DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. This association
represents the interests of over 5,000 skiers and snowboarders.
of "Little Heiskell"
The City of Hagerstown was founded in 1745 by a German stone mason, Jonathan
Hager. Around 1770, the town had grown enough to have its first
City Hall erected and citizen of Hagerstown, a metalworker named
Mr. Heiskell was commissioned to design and place a weathervane
on the new City Hall building. Mr. Heiskell selected a Hessian Solider
for his design. This little soldier was approximately one meter
in height and adorned with a plumed hat and rifle.
This weathervane remained on Hagerstown's City Hall buildings until 1936 when the
present City Hall was erected. Through the years, the solider stood
guard over the city in all it's glory and became affectionately
known as "Little Heiskell". Currently the original "Little
Heiskell" is in a place of honor in Hagerstown's local museum.